Saturday 16 January 2010

ZM_Dustpanic

This was probably the first map I "seriously" tried making for the Source engine. I wanted to create something that would look good, be fun to play, and wouldn't take long to create.

As with all good map designs, the layout came first. The layout for the map was initially inspired by a map called "zm_lila_panic", a map that I felt to be considerably lacking in balanced gameplay and wanted to correct. However as I developed my design on paper, it soon became clear that my map had little in common with the original inspiration and would be deserving of some new title, the map I had drawn on paper was very much my own.

At the beginning of the design phase I had decided that I wanted my map to resemble the classic counter-strike map "Dust". It was my hope that building something that matched the graphical quality of "Dust" would prove alluring to players.

Furthermore, I knew that the graphical style of "Dust" would be easy for me to replicate (particularly due to the abundance of prop models available) and would prove quick to develop.



The map took a mere week to develop, and following release became a popular map on custom map servers.

The map can be downloaded from the following link:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/98247

No comments:

Post a Comment