Saturday 16 January 2010

ZM_saxon

My second attempt at making a Counter-Strike map was considerably more complicated than the first. I wanted to do something altogether different to my previous work, and settled on the idea of creating a car park in mid-western America.

I designed each level of the car park, linking the sections together. I took care to design the separate levels differently, rather than copying and pasting the same layout over and over.

Once I began creating the map in Hammer, I found it difficult to distinguish the separate levels of the carpark in the 2D view planes. Thus it became useful to group the separate levels of the carpark, allowing me to hide layers I wasn't working on at a particular moment.

It took a month to complete the basic architechture for the map, but once this was done it was easy to add in details, props and lighting.

Having done this, I wanted to add two things that would set my map apart from other maps: the first being subtle use of colour correction to tone down certain colours, while increasing other colour values; the second being map specific player textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment